How could I be so ignorant? In my defense, I did not grow up with one and I never even really wanted one. The only reason I got it was so certain other people who are not Mr Swami would just stfu about the nuisance of trying to clean the little drain holes and just wash their whole mess away. So I got a garbage disposal a few years ago.
Did you know that the rubber gasket thing that sits way down inside the drain - the one you have to poke stuff through forcibly now and then - did you know that it can be popped out and cleaned? Like on the underside? Where it is coated in icky revoltingness? Quite by accident I popped mine out today and thus noticed the yicky-yucky skeevy scum built up on the bottom of the stupid thing. How was I to know? Nobody ever told me it came out! I did not read the fine print on the box when the plumber installed it lo those 5 years ago. It seemed like a permanent thing to me. I am so embarrassed. It was gross. Really, really gross.
But clean now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
I did not know this either.
The only time I ever had one was when I lived in one of my apartments.
This house had one, but it was broken, so we didn't use it. DH put a new one in about a year or so ago, so I started to use it somewhat, but I don't really like the idea of putting a bunch of food down the sink. I frequently pour about a cup of bleach in there with water and let it run.
I will have to go and pop mine out and see what's there.
Speaking of which, we do NOT have one here at the office, yet that doesn't seem to stop certain people from dumping their oatmeal down the drain, thus blocking it up.
I didn't know this, either. I'm going to read my disposal manual this weekend.
Who knew? I don't have a disposal but this reminds of all the grossness associated with stuff that should make our lives easier and more enjoyable if it wasn't for the cleaning part.
For example - wasp traps that use coke or sugar water. Ever clean one of those after a couple of days of it sitting in the sun? Gross.
Hair screens on tubs. Gross.
The christmas tree stand full of water that has had said tree in it for 2 or 3 weeks. Gross.
These days, asian beetles are topping my list of grossness. The warm weather has made them surface.
I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, drink OJ from McDonald's if it does not come pre-packaged. That is all.
MC, thank goodness Mr Swami considers cleaning hair from drains to be "plumbing" and therefore a manly job. I am off the hook on that one!
Boo - you saw them fill up the tub, did you?
*gag*
I don't want to know what Boo is talking about. Glad I always get Diet Coke or Coffee.
I'm kinda sorry I came over here today.
I need to lie down now, and probably put a wet washcloth over my face.
*gag*
News to me, too. I've always had a garbage disposal. A plumber told me that he rarely uses his; if you put lots of stuff in it, you may need a plumber, so just throw the stuff out instead.
In unrealted news, I hear you are preparing for some potential flooding in your area.
Post a Comment