Lately I have noticed a few cayotes and red fox within a mile or so of our house. And on the theory that if I see one there are probably a bunch more smart enough to not be seen, I suspect we may have them quite nearby. So early yesterday morning (at dawn, in fact) when Mr Swami let our gray cat out she made a weird cut-off howling noise I had never heard her make. I was worried, but she came home quickly & safely. (Altho freaked out, with her ears back, and didn't even ask to go out for the rest of the day - which is almost unheard of for her.)
So I was worried that we had one of these canine predators around our yard. The local TV in fact has been highlighting them, and people finding cayotes in their garage & stuff like that. So I gave Mr Swami my recommendation of what to do to deter cayotes from hanging out under our seldom-used side deck or in one of the sheds. He was to go outside first thing in the morning with a big stick and beat this stick on the house, the gutter pipes, the deck floor, etc. and maybe growl a little too. Sometimes it doesn't take much to deter major critters. They will just move on to a 'better' neighborhood when a bigger predator (i.e., my man) moves in.
So this is what happened: Mr Swami did not want to contfront potential cayotes in his work clothes, and since it was a darkish dawn he just went outside naked! Oh how I wish I had a video of Mr Swami running around outside banging his big stick & growling! I would watch it over & over, lol. It would be a YouTube moment!
He did make one mistake though. He let the cat out first, so the cat was terrified and ran into the woods too. Oh well. He should get it right tomorrow. Scare cayotes, then let the cat out. We should be clear in a couple of days.
You guys can't do stuff like this in the big city.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Oh yeah?
Take a look at this. And this was made according to actual tips presented by one of our city counsellors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAFsSmqS7qA
*snort*
Bears are gaining in number and size around us. Coyotes creep me out, and I can hear them fairly often in the summer with the windows open. Completely freaky.
This is one huge reason I won't let our cats out. Cars, trappers and predators are my big three. Call me a terrible cat owner if you must, as I know many people think it's torturous to keep cats indoors, and I kind of get that. However, I had three cats and one dog die at young ages during my youth (three car strikes and one cat that never returned), plus our two brother cats now have no siblings left because of car strikes at my SIL's house. I also had to bandage the neighbor cat's leg that was skinned to the bones from an animal or a trap and another of SIL's cat had to have its tail amputated last year due to an animal fight. My wallet and my heart don't have it in me to let the cats out on the prowl.
Coyotes don't stay in one spot, they circle around. So while it was kind of a good idea? They may have already left on their circle and will be back.
I can ask DBF if there is anything you can do to deter them. He traps them for people around here.
Kim, I agree but I lost the Cat Out argument with Mr Swami years ago. He thinks it is the cat's nature to go out & hunt. Over the past 25 years we have lost 2 cats to the nearby highway and one to just didn't come home.
Of our 2 current cats only Gracie (Mr Swami's cat) goes out. 'My' cat, Tippy Toes, prefers to be indoors with me. He hates going out.
Breezy - oops - I spelled coyote wrong. Mr Swami did the stick-bang trick again this morning. I told him he should do it for a week.
Thankfully we don't get coyotes or bears. We get racoons, possums and deer.
*sits with Augie*
You keep sending that man outside with no clothes on and drawing attention, and you might get something besides coyotes. :)
I hope a naked Mr. Swami scared away the critters. I suggest you buy him chase-critters clothes.
Post a Comment