Friday, April 03, 2009

Brown Eggs. More on Spices.

Brown eggs are de bombe for making colored Easter eggs. I used to buy white eggs just to dye because I figured the brown eggs would be a bust - but last year, just for experimental information, I dropped a brown egg into each cup of my usual PAAS Easter colors. They came out beautifully! Rich, jewel-tones colors, even the yellow! And intense, like you had left each egg in the dye cup for hours. I will never color white eggs again. (The colors, like I said, are more jewel-toned than with white eggs - but I would rather have ruby-red and emerald-green than primary red and green. The orange looked like saffron. Beautiful.)

A couple of posts down Boo commented that I didn't have Lawry's Seasoned Salt in my Spice List. I left it off because I didn't include most of my "convenience" seasoning mixes. I will now add them, beginning at #88, since I left off at #87:

88. Emeril Seafood Magic
89. Grill Mates Pork Rub
90. Grill Mates Seafood Rub
91. Italian Seasoning
92. Lawry’s Seasoned Pepper
93. Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
94. Lawry’s Seasoned Salt Red Pepper
95. Lemon Pepper
96. Louisiana Cajun Seasoning
97. McCormick’s 1-Step Garlic & Bell Pepper
98. McCormick’s Worcestershire Black Pepper
99. Montreal Chicken Seasoning (which I use on pork chops)
100. Montreal Steak Seasoning
101. Old Bay
102, Original Burger Seasoning
103. Poultry Seasoning
104. Pumpkin Pie Spice
105. Salad Supreme

Ta da!!! One hundred and five! I think I am now officially the Spice Quees!

7 comments:

Breezy said...

All of a sudden our hens went on a egg laying sprint. I have over 2 dozen in my fridge from the last few days. I may color some of them.

Tummy said...

*bows to the Queen of Spice

My family doesn't dunk and soak our eggs. We've always used Doc Hinkle's paint on dyes. We make little paint brushes (they actually look like little tiny mops) out of tooth picks and kitchen yard. I just ordered 5 new sets of jars and I keep my old jars so I can mix my own colors. I'm a freak aren't I? :)

Swami said...

When I was in 7th & 8th grades my best friend was from the Ukraine. Both her parents and 2 uncles were commercial artists. They took egg painting to heights I never considered, well, sane. Like they would spend hours dying and waxing and painting and de-waxing and re-painting and re-dipping and then waxing some more and painting again. They used brushes made from ONE hair sometimes.

Beautiful eggs, but holy cow!!! Also? They used only raw eggs, never boiled ones (I forget why but there was some good, paint-related reason.) The best eggs they kept for years. Evidently the eggs would ever so slowly dry out since shells are not air-tight. They were not stinky during the years-long drying time, although my friend did say if you accidently broke them after a couple of months they REALLY stank!

They had boxes of tissue-wrapped, painted eggs stored in a closet.

~Nutz said...

I think you should change your name to the Spice Girl!

~Nutz said...

*pushes Swami's easy button*

*grin*

yvonne said...

I just might have to get a dozen brown eggs just to color. Very interesting.

Swami? I think you have a spice obsession. Not that thats a bad thing. *snort*

Puffy said...

I missed your original "spices" post. All I can say is "wow!" And double "wow" about the Ukranian Easter egg dying.