I want to do three new, recurring things in 2009. These are not resolutions, just things to do that I will enjoy. So far I have come up with two. What should my third be? I feel like I'm in a work-at-home, stay-at-home rut - yet I do like being home.
THING ONE: learn to play bridge. I like to play cards. I grew up playing cards, but no one around here seems to play. I can take a 14 week course (meets 1x per week) to learn and practise the game, then join a league.
PROs: I am totally familiar with handling cards. I like everything tactile about cards,lol. The shuffling, the dealing, the grouping. I like card table chit-chat. I like the competitive aspect of trying to outwit your opponents.
CONs: I will have to drive into the city since the classes (and future league play) are at the St Paul Bridge Center - which has its own nice-looking little building. I have no idea who the other players will be or if I will even like them.
THING TWO: go for a weekly swim. When the kids were little we used to go to a local pool twice a week and swim. Both kids learned to swim in that pool and it was a lot of fun.
PROs: It is light exercise that is not stressful on my knees. The pool is right in "my" town, so no extra-long drives.
CONs: I will have to wear a bathing suit in public. Being all old and saggy-assed, I am not happy about this.
THING THREE: ??? I have no idea. I would like it to be at least semi-sociable. Any suggestions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
My parents were life masters in bridge. If you think you'll like bridge, your # 3 could be to learn mah jong. Just find a Jewish synagogue or temple to find a group. LOL
The swimming sounds like a good idea for some good exercise. I can't imagine swimming in cold weather, even if it's an indoor pool.
Puffy, I have watched Chinese ladies in Honolulu play Mahjong with a very intimidating speed and intensity. Man could their fingers move quickly!
I used to live 3 blocks from Temple Israel in Minneapolis, which I think is the biggest Jewish congregation in Minnesota. Think of the Mahjong opportunites I could have had there!
I think you could count bridge as something social, yes?
Also, if you are thinking about swimming, choose a pool in a neighbourhood with lots of really old people.
The gym I go to (well went to pre-baby) made me feel svelt and fit even at 9 months pregnant.
Post a Comment