Christmas Eve day I made my first visit to Costco. Actually, I had no idea what Costco was. I thought it was like a SuperTarget - only bigger & better & more super. But turns out it is strictly a big lots kind of place, which is not my thing at all.
Anyway, I also didn't know you had to be a member to shop there. Tom dropped me off at the door and I just walked in. There was a security-type person arguing (but nicely) with some guy at the front door. I just smiled at her and sailed right on by, no problem. Then when Tom wanted to come in they wouldn't let him pass because he wasn't a member! He was stuck in the entryway.
Meanwhile I am wandering around, putting a few things into my cart and wondering where the heck Tom is. Tom was hanging around the doors waiting for me to come back out. He had on his red ski jacket and looked all annoyed, so people began to assume he was Security! Exiting customers began to show him their receipts and invite him to check their carts. Eventually even Security thought he was Security so then Tom just walked into the store to come and get me.
We decided we weren't going to join Costco (I think the membership fee was $50) just to buy the few things I had in my cart. I just abandoned the cart and we left. I felt a little bad abandoning the semi-filled cart on Christmas Eve, knowing that some poor employee would be tasked with putting everything back, but it seemed like the best choice of the moment. I really didn't want a box of 24 bars of Dove soap and whatever else it was I had selected while waiting for Tom.
Then we went to Target, which is much more the kind of retail outlet I prefer to get a variety of stuff all at once. Target is good. Costco is strange.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I've never been to costco, but I used to have a membership at Sam's (it was free thru work). I ended up letting it expire because I have a tendency to spend a TON of money when I go to Sam's. There are suddenly so many things that I didn't realize I needed, let alone in bulk. Now I just go with my mom when I visit her and I can control my spending.
The security thing cracks me up. Tom is such a rebel.
*snort* Way to worm yourselves in. I only went once this year (as my sister's guest) when our Costco opened, but used to go a few times a year to Sam's Club. Definitely not worth the fee for us and I'm good with never going again, frankly.
Honestly Swami, you make me laugh harder than anyone here. I think you could have a reality show.
We belong to Costco. We get our membership through a friend's company, so we don't have to pay. There are some things that are totally worth buying there and some that are not.
Their meat is great. Their steaks are fantastic. And the ribs - especially the boneless pork country style ribs. We also bought Conner's swingset there for $1300, and will be buying a bed from them.
And don't feel bad about the cart. After you stood in the long line to pay, they probably would not have let you because you weren't a member, and you have to show your card at the register.
I agree with Boo. Swami needs a reality show pronto. Ratings would sail through the roof. And it's true that you need your Costco card to check out. I was waiting to see how you were going to finagle that one.
I've been trying not to shop there as much, but for TP, Cheese and papertowels, we go occasionally. I try to go w/o kids, because they want to try all the samples. It is hard to leave w/o spending $100 or more!
LOL, that was funny about Costco. I'm a member of that place, as it's a lifesaver when you have four kids running around in the house and all demanding to be fed about 8-10 times a day. You can find some really good prices on bulk items that last quite a while - some things that you buy in the grocery store would only last 2-3 days.
I've joined blogland and found yours, so I look forward to more Swami Stories!
"Eventually even Security thought he was Security so then Tom just walked into the store to come and get me."
This cracked my shit up.
We don't belong to Costco but we do belong to Sam's Club. I've heard they are kind of the same thing. We find it useful for things like TP and PT, chicken jerky for the doggies, and half & half. We do buy meat and produce there too. Every year we question whether it is worth the member fee and I think it is. That chicken jerky is expensive! elsewhere.
Post a Comment