Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Tuesday Randoms

1. The Economic Crisis. Was caused by David Krumholtz, that math geek dude on NUMB3RS who is always solving cases for the FBI through the clever application of obscure math theorems. Turns out, Wall Street Big Bankers hired a bunch of West Coast mathematicians who wrote a bunch of clever algorithms which “disappeared” the debt risk they carried down a theoretical black hole. And even though nobody on Wall Street understood the math, and the whole thing failed the Common Sense Test – they went ahead and disappeared their debt risk so they could lend out even more money that wasn’t really there. So I blame David Krumholtz. The bastard.

2. Pears. Are wonderful this fall! For dessert last night Tom and I each had half a pear and half a banana, both sliced into bite-sized chunks and topped with half a carton (each) of strawberry-mango yogurt. Delicious!

3. Birds. The birds are already rioting at my patio window feeder. Yesterday I had full grown red-headed woodpeckers hanging off the feeder and scaring off (temporarily) the little birds.

4. Razor Scooters. My grandson forgot his here last week. Those things are heavy to mail/ship! Like, more than half the value of the scooter! So I have decided it makes more sense to just buy him a new one from Amazon, who will ship it for free. Poor kid. Forced to get a new scooter.

5. Halloween. Grandson is going as R2D2. My contribution to his costume idea was to use silver dryer vent tubing to cover his lower legs in a robot-like fashion.

6. December Birthday/Christmas. Yesterday I bought my own presents on eBay, thus freeing Tom from the hassle of trying to get me something I like. Aren’t I thoughtful?

7. Rain. It’s raining again. I hate shopping in the rain because it always pours the most when I have to transit from the car into the store or vice versa. I hate that! But Target has a bookcase I want on sale.

8. TV. I still love Rachel Maddow, my liberal lesbian commentator. I read somewhere that she goes unrecognized (mostly) in public by wearing no make-up, glasses instead of contacts, and dressing like Bravie does when Michelle isn’t home.
Reality TV. I laughed so much at the latest self-centered dummy who was evicted from TAR. He said, "well, I didn't win the money but at least I have good parents, and my good looks (pause) and oh yeah my partner what's-her-name over there." Lol!

9. Mr. Swami, who is a banker with a small ‘b’, is going quietly mad.

Nine is the perfect number.

14 comments:

Zombs said...

1. Why can't we just let the economy collapse and let everyone start over? I promise to do better.

2. Mmmm...pears. I always wanted to try baking them with some booze on them. Ever try that? Pear are very sensual.

3. Birds scare me.

4. Now he has a scooter at your place!

5.Gross it is candy corn time again!

6. You are my hero.

9. How is poor Mr. Swami?

mtw said...

1. The subprime crisis is the dems fault.
2. Pears are one of my favorite fruits.
5. Being a candyman, you'd think I'd like Halloween. But Big Candy has ruined Halloween as a candy holiday because there's nothing new or different available only at Halloween anymore.
6. I bought my own birthday present last month. It was PERFECT.
7. *opens umbrella for Swami*
8. Haven't been watching much TV lately. Falling asleep tired.

Eight is a better place to stop. :)

mtw said...

On second thought...

7. *makes the rain stop for Swami*

Anonymous said...

1. In all seriousness I do realize that there are economic problems, but I wonder how much of it has been elevated by the media. That dude from the Today show yesterday had me ready to do some crazy things.

2. I love pears. I wish I could order some from Harry & David. But that would not be economically smart.

3. Conner would love that. He likes to chase birds.

4. For some reason I read this as "razor scissors" and wondered what the heck you were talking about. Now he can have one at both places. Maybe he will visit more often.

5. Do you have two of these to use?

6. Very smaht. I think you still need a surprise.

7. I have two of those bookcases in the two-shelf variety. (See my space blog entry.) And I put them together myself.

8. I honestly don't know who this Rachel Maddow person is. I know, shoot me.

9. *hugs*

10. I love Swami. Now your list is perfect.

kim (weltek) said...

Good idea about the R2D2 costume. Very detailed you are.

Apparently you and my boss are the founding members of the Rachel Maddow fan club. I've listened to both of you sing her praises over and over. Sheesh, get a room!

I agree about the TAR dork. I literally did a *head tilt* when he said that.

lights said...

1. *plugs ears and sings*
2. Nothing like a nice pair of....oh, nevermind.
3. I only like birds outside the house.
4. What is a razor scooter?
5. *plugs ears and sings*
6. December babies rock! *grin*
7. Better rain than snow.
8. No idea who she is but if Bravie likes her she's okay in my books.
9. *hugs*

Swami said...

Zombs, Mr. Swami is okay, but his bank is all buttoned down tight.

MTW - sorry. In this blog dems cannot be casually demonized. In fact, just saying the words "Liberal Democrat" causes babies to coo and giggle uncontrollably and puppies to lie down & nap in puddles of warm buttery sunshine while hosts of heavenly Enyas sweetly sing and the soft scent of chrism floats through the air. Okay, we do get a little tired of the singing Enyas, but they help the puppies sleep. :)

Swami said...

Boo, I want the 5 shelf version in chestnut finish. (I think that's what they call the mid-tone brown.) Rachel Maddow would not be your cup of tea.

Kim - maybe Rachel, your boss & me could make it a threesome?

Swami said...

Lights - what do you have against R2D2?

mtw said...

Your blog, your rules. :)

1. It's the PUBS fault!

~ I don't even know what an Enya is!
~ Buttery sunshine sounds nice.
~ My first thought about pears was to wonder if the pears are wonderful in Minnesota, does that mean they are also wonderful this year in California? Seriously.

Anonymous said...

I thought Enya was a singer.

Swami said...

Lol, MTW. I didn't say it was the pubs fault either. It was gd David Krumhotz based thinking.

Really? You don't know who Enya is? She is, like, the sweetest-singing vocalist of the late 90s/ early 00s! So sweet and soothing and sweet.

Pears - probably. They are one of those fruits that has a perfection shelf life of about 18 hours. Before that they are too green and after they get grainy fast.

Breezy said...

9 is the perfect number.

I haven't watched Numb3rs lately.

Puffy said...

Reading Tuesday randoms on Saturday.

Good idea to buy your own presents.

Speaking of rain, we just got home from seeing "Flash of Genius," about the man who invented the intermittent windshield wipers. Good movie.

I saw Rachel Maddow on Leno this past week. She wore her glasses.

When the guy was kicked off of TAR, I was shouting at the TV: "Say YOUR GIRLFRIEND!" Idiot.

Hang in there, Mr. Swami.