Saturday, October 25, 2008

He Just Knocked On My Door.

The nice young man with a big, fat gun strapped to his hip.

I can see the front door from my home office window so I studied him for a minute after he knocked. He was driving a totally unmarked, older car. He was wearing a brown uniform with little braids & patches & stuff that I did not recognize (and couldn't read the patches from where I spied on him,) and boots. It was not the khaki State Patrol uniform they wear in some nearby areas - it was a much darker brown.

He knocked again so I went and opened the door. Evidently this is what I do when armed young men in strange uniforms knock on my door, I let them in!

Turns out he was from the National Park Service. My house and property are located in a strip of land along the St Croix River that is subject to bunch of rules under the NPS's Wild & Scenic Rivers Act of 1969. He said "good morning," handed me a brochure and then added "I am going to take some pictures of your house and yard. We're the National Park Service and we're allowed to do that." Then he gave me a tight little smile and nod. One of those aggressive I can do whatever I want to you type of smiles.

So I told him "yeah, okay" and he wandered off happily taking pictures.

I have no problem with NPS rangers (which is what I think he was) checking out my land, but jeesh did he have to wear a sidearm when he knocked on my door?

11 comments:

Tummy said...

The gun would have just been an added bonus in my fantasies later on. *grin

But sounds like it gave him an attitude.

Swami said...

Oh Tummy, if you stripped the clothes and gun off this guy you would be left with a naked dweeb. Definately not fantasy material, lol.

lights said...

Damn...I was totally in line with Tummy! *snort*

Bravie said...

Even I was in line with Tummy. LOL

Puffy said...

Did you pose naked in the upstairs window?

Breezy said...

Dang, I was with Tummy too.

DNR reps always carry, they are more likely to run into peeps with guns than cops are.

Swami said...

Breezy, really? We have DNR peeps come out and check the status of the trout in our creek every couple of years and they never carry guns!

What they do is measure off a length of the creek and then zap it with an electric shock which paralyses the fish so they float to the surface. Then the DNR folks measure and weigh the fish and put them back.

They do water quality testing stuff too - but the fish count is the most interesting to watch.

Breezy said...

Every DNR officer I have ran into had a gun. A shotgun hanging in the back window and a side arm.

yvonne said...

*raises hand* I was in line with Tummy and Lightsy and Bravie and Breezy too.

Rats!

I don't run into too many Park Rangers around here, but I'm happy to say I work on an Army installation and get to see big guns everyday. And yes, "big guns" could be code.

*snort*

MM said...

LOL, why was I the only one NOT in line? LOL, I must be losing my touch. ;-)

Breezy said...

I wanna work with the big guns! *grin*