Or, what I did with the rhubarb Grandma sent.
Or, WTF do you do with rhubarb?
Vaguely, I remembered a sort-of rhubarb betty I ate somewhere, sometime, so I Googled a bunch of recipes and discovered you made it like a dump cake - dump in a few cups of chopped rhubarb, dump in 1/2 to 1 cup sugar (recipes varied), dump in some red jello (I chose cranberry jello) dump on a box of one layer cake mix, add 1/2 a cup of water, drizzle with 1/3 cup of melted butter and bake.
It tasted good, but major! sugar! rush! Wow!!! I don't eat sugar every day so maybe it was just me, but Holy Cow. I didn't think I would be able to get to sleep at all, then I slept like a log once I did. Was that my sugar crash, lol?
So.
Do you grow rhubarb?
Do you eat rhubarb?
If Grandma gives you rhubarb, what do you do with it? (Because you know eventually you will have to report.)
In other news I really need to resurrect my photo program on this computer so I can post pics of Boris & Natasha, my new Russian Tortoises. I have a little more rhubarb to use up. I wonder if my tortoises will eat raw rhubarb? Mostly they like hearts of romaine, spring mix (that bagged stuff) and dandelions. Hmmm. There's only one way to find out. Hope I don't croak the little buggers...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I grow rhubarb, but Chris doesn't like it and I'm dieting, so I didn't make anything this year! I am intending to make some strawberry-rhubarb sugar-free jam, but I need to get strawberries. Due to flooding, the strawberries aren't so plentiful locally.
I like rhubarb crisp.
That dump cake sounds super sweet, so it's probably not just you!
My parents had a neighbor who always gave them a lot of rhubarb, and they didn't know what to do with it.
I've always been a little afraid of rhubarb. Isn't part of it poisonous? I never remember which part.
The leaves are a major irritant, like chewing on poison ivy or something but I don't think they are are a "kill you" kind of poisonous.
I can remember as a child picking stalks off my mom's rhubarb plants and eating them raw. Intense, but good. I think I took a bite of leaf once because kids are stupid daredevils like that - but I don't remember any dire consequences. It tasted awful so I spit it out.
My mom made lots of rhubarb pies but I didn't like them.
Did I have rhubarb at Lightsy's house? I tried something I had never had and I enjoyed it. I think it was rhubarb. But it wasn't crisp.
I forgot, my mom also made rhubarb bars and I liked them.
I read an article in our paper about a woman that got violently ill from rhubarb that was hit by frost. I knew the leaves were poisonous, but apparently frost-bitten stalks can be, too.
*snort* No we didn't have rhubarb at Lighty's.
I don't grow it, but we did growing up. Made tons of pies, jams and dump cakes with it.
While I hate to disagree with the Breezy one, I think Carey may have tried some stewed Rhubarb at my place. I think I still had some in the fridge from the wood man...remember him? I'm thinking of stopping by to see if he'll give me a little bit again this year.
I have a new recipe for rhubarb meringue pie from my Cottage Life magazine that I'd like to try.
Post a Comment