Friday, June 20, 2008

Are You Locked Up Tight?

Mr. Swami & I are fanatics about keeping the house locked at all times. Even when I am home during the day I keep the house locked and carry keys with me. If I go out in the garden for a while I lock the house shut behind me.

So Mr. Swami gets furious when our DD is the last one in at night and completely forgets to lock the door behind her! Which she did yet again last night. So our house was open all night. Grrrr.

8 comments:

Breezy said...

Lock the doors? Only when nobody is home.

kim (weltek) said...

I don't lock when someone's home or when I'm running for a 10 minute errand.

Chris is MUCH better about locking up than I am.

lights said...

Not only do we lock the doors and windows now, but we also have a new security system with motion detectors that calls us if the alarm goes off.

Just moved to the cottage for the summer tonight. We'll see how it goes - if we can even afford the extra gas expense.

I never lock the doors if we're here. At home we lock the door when we go to bed but at the cottage we don't bother. I will be locking the door tomorrow night while I'm here alone.

We never used to lock the house. It was only when we started having concerns about the friend's kid who ended up involved in our breakins that we started locking the house and garage.

yvonne said...

Like Breezy and Weltek, we lock the doors when no one is home; however we do lock up tight at night.

Bravie said...

I live in California. Anyone who lives here and doesn't lock up is just asking to be robbed. Day or night, home or not. It's pretty sad.

Puffy said...

Locked. All the time.

MM said...

I lock when I leave, unless it's a short errand. And we always do at night.

Anonymous said...

In general, yes. I will get up and go downstairs at night to make sure. I never sleep with the downstairs windows open and, when I shut them, I make sure they are all locked.

If I am home during the day, I like to keep the garage shut. And if I'm not downstairs, I will make sure the doors are shut - not always locked, but at least shut.

There are times when I'm not locked up tight, and it doesn't bother me as much as it would have in our other house. I figure I'm less likely to be a victim of a random crime because of where our house is located. But I do try to be careful about making sure I am not followed, and I also try to make sure the paper man doesn't know which house is mine if I'm out walking in the early morning.