Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Quit Labelling Me, TYVM!

Why is it that so many well-known, national, nature preservation societies are willing to cut down trees to send me return address labels I don't want or need? Especially because my town has a long-ass name and they always abbreviate it funny?

I just counted 23 sheets of return addresses sent to me by the likes of:
The Sierra Club
The Nature Conservancy
The Audobon Society
The World Wildlife Fund
The Humane Society
The National Wildlife Federation
The National Parks Conservation Association
Wildlife Land Trust
St Joseph's Indian School (I buy from their catalog)
St Jude's Children's Research Hospital (I have never given to them!)
Rutgers University (Mr. Swami's alma mater - he 'supports' their crew program)

Granted, I have given some money at one time or another to all of the above conservancy groups - but by no means am I a significant or regular donor. You could feed some chickens with what my typical donation is. And yet? They keep sending me nice little reminders to donate again, and include a sheet (or three!) of nice peel & stick return address labels.

I can use them on bills because I don't care that my town's name is abbreviated stupidly on those envelopes, but I just don't have enough bills to use them all! And I don't throw them out because that offends my don't waste perfectly good stuff that trees died for instinct.

I swear, if The American Arbor Society starts sending these things out I will go ballistic!

How many "free" address return labels do you get? I can't be the only one so "blessed."

6 comments:

lights said...

Covenant House, North Bay General Hospital, Salvation Army and Sick Kids Hospital. They're the ones that constantly send me requests. I always feel guilty using their greeting cards without sending a cheque.

Covenant House sent me a pewter looking angel keychain. I hung it on my rear view mirror to keep us safe during our comute but only after sending another donation. I'm superstitious like that.

Puffy said...

I get soooo many address labels, too. I like when they include pads of paper. My drawers are also overflowing with their greeting cards that never fit the right occasion. About once or twice a year, I need to toss out some of the address labels. With paying most bills online, I don't use them as often as I used to.

Can you write to them and request that you be taken off their mailing list?

Let's see...
1. National Parkinson Foundation
2. National Jewish Medical and Research Center
3. Act for Autism
4. Paralyzed Veterans of America
5. Veterans of Foreign Wars
6. Humane Society
7. SPCA
8. United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism
9. Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS foundation.
10. American Heart Association
11. American Lung Association
12. Alzheimer's Association
13. U.S. Olympic Committee
14. Shriner's Hospital
15. March of Dimes
16. United Synagogue Youth
17. Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
18. St. Jude's Hospital
19. Children's Hospital of Los Angeles
20. Children's Cancer Research Fund

Some have my name, our names, his name, misspelled street name. Sigh. I just threw a bunch of them out.

kim (weltek) said...

I give through my workplace (payroll deduction) to most charities, and there's a box on there to check "Please don't contact me," so I don't rack up too many. Here are the ones I do get:

1) UW-Madison (alma mater)
2) Breast Cancer 3 Day (donate)
3) Cooking Club of America (was a one year member about four years ago, but they keep sending)
4) Ducks Unlimited (Chris went to one show last year)

Sometimes others show up, but it's usually a one-time random thing.

I guess it's useful since I don't get that many. 2 sheets a year would be the maximum I need. We just don't mail bills much anymore, so it's more for greeting cards/letters.

momma said...

I don't get any mailing labels. I'm feeling slightly left out.

Swami said...

I got two more address sheets today! Lucky me!!! These are from The United Service Organization - the good ol' USO.

Lights I forgot about the groups who send out cards. I get two or three collections of those too but I can't remember who from. My MIL loves them so I give all cards to her.

Puffy, I forgot about American Heart, American Lung and the March of Dimes. I get those too. Maybe we can take up a collection for Momma? Poor Momma.

Anonymous said...

I recently found some in my desk drawer at work. I used two in two days for a thank-you note and a graduation card.

I had some 3-Day ones that I used all of. I wanted the awareness out there on that one.

I don't get too many anymore. Maybe because I'm a scrooge.