I have never worn a cap & gown and done the whole graduation thing. When June rolls around I always feel like I missed out.
I went to high school in Ontario Canada, where most college bound kids attended to Grade 13. Grade 13 was the cap & gown year. But I left after Grade 12 to attend University in the U.S.
I went to Cornell University - which I just loved! - and graduated from there, but because I took some time off when I was an idiot and got married too young I did not graduate with my class in June. Instead I graduated the next January, by which time I was living in MN and it didn't seem worth it to go back to NY for a cap & gown ceremony without my good college friends there. So I didn't go.
Now, at this late date in my life I suddenly want a cap & gown ceremony! Is that dumb or what? But I want it. I want a diploma handed to me by somebody in college robes. I want the party. I want the cap & gown photo. I want the tassel. I want the experience!
So tell me a story from your cap & gown. If you have a photo, post it in your blog or send it to me. Make me feel all graduate-y.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Swami, if I visit this year, I think I should bring my cap & gown from high school for you to wear. I'll make a waxed paper & comb harmonica and play "Pomp & Circumstance."
I didn't attend my college graduation. Seemed like a hassle that nobody really wanted to deal with (including myself). Being older than most of my classmates, it would've felt odd. I was only friends with about five girls. Didn't really know anyone else that well. Not to mention, UW-Madison graduations are hellishly long and crowded.
High school graduation was kind of cool. The girls wore white, the boys blue. Back in 1990, puffy bangs were the style, and I can't tell you how many "poof" were smushed that day by the graduation chaperone lady who did not approve of "tilted" caps.
For my little college graduation, they tried to make it a really big deal, but it was a bit of a PITA. We graduated with another branch of our college, and we had to drive two hours to get there. That sucked.
I produce a graduation yearly for my adult ed apprentices, and I try to make it as nice as possible without any cheese. Frick in the home office actually asked me for suggestions this year. Color me impressed.
Oh, and I'll dig up the pic of me and my dad from my HS graduation.
Well.. we are holding convocation ceremonies all next week (9 ceremonies over 5 days). I'm sure I could get you a gown and have somebody hand you something that looks official :-)
I attended my Univ. graduation 12 years ago. And plan on walking across that stage in the next ~year when I earn my MEd.
I have graduation envy as well. At my highschool we had a semester system and I finished in January. By June, when the ceremony happened, I was not interested in going to grad. I was too wrapped up in Dusterboy. *grin*
Then I ended up cancelling college completely so no grad there either.
Mr Swami says I should get a Master's in something so I can have a cap & gown - but I have no aspirations to that. I may take a course now and then on an as-interested basis, but I don't aspire to a degree. I just want to relive & correct my past. That means I'm old, doesn't it?
You could go to a Halloween costume party in a cap and gown. You could also use the gown to get dressed up as a judge.
I attended both my high school and college graduations. I'll find a picture and scan it.
I get teary-eyed and choked up at graduations.
I can't help you. I've had three graduations and never wore a cap and gown.
High school didn't have cap and gowns. We did walk and get announced and our scholarships were announced at that time too. It was an awesome walk. I think I got 7 scholarships,(it was more than anyone in the school) and I had no idea. (It was a little less awesome when the sum total was less than most other single scholarships and two of the groups withheld them from me, as I didn't go into acting). But it was a nice walk at the time.
Didn't go to Bachelors, as I was in Montreal and flying back to Victoria didn't seem worth it. (I'd been to two friends grads)
Didn't go to my PhD, as I was kyacking at the time. However, my mom and family came to my final talk and my Dad and little sister came out for my defense day, so I felt it was plenty celebrated. Also, I got married that year as well.
The only grad with a cap and gown my mom has attended (from 3 daughters with a total of 4 post secondary degrees (2 bachelors, 1 PhD, 1-one year nursing) was my sister from her nursing. My other sister is doing a Master's right now and she may end up going to grad.
I feel better knowing that a fair number of you guys also did not go to various graduations. I have always felt like I was the only one who missed out. But it turns out I'm in good company! Yay!
I posted 2 graduation pictures in my blog.
Post a Comment