Thursday, September 13, 2007

Corner Deli Blues

Deli salads have all been turned into heavy heavy pastas salads around here. Are deli salads by definition pasta salads now? Used to be, you had a choice of many delightful fresh combinations. Now (except for de rigeur cole slaw) everything is 95% pasta or beans, with olives and (I suspect tinned) artichoke hearts, and sliced pepperoni and things that keep well - not fun, fresh stuff! Maybe there's a broccoli salad. But there's nothing light & fresh & tasty. And they're all floating in too much oil.

I want a SALAD dammit!

19 comments:

yvonne said...

I love cole slaw. Not so much pasta salad. I don't care for cold pasta, or cold and oily pasta. But I do love some cole slaw!

kim (weltek) said...

I agree that there's too much heavy oily stuff. I rarely buy deli salads because a) I don't really like potato salad or cole slaw and b) Everything else has that bottled Italian dressing flavor.

Swami said...

Yeah, I never buy the potato salad either.

MM said...

I think you are talking about grown up food. *makes icky face*

Schnookie said...

I'm the odd one here and LOVE pasta salad and potatoe salad. If I could eat that every day I would. I realize they are fattening so I don't.

I'm about due for a salad. I rarely make them at home and I'm not one for those fancy salads like they have at panera. I like just a regular caesar salad.

mtw said...

*sits with Nookie*

I love pasta salad and potato salad. I think that deli salads have gotten WAY better here over the last few years. We have a couple of supermarkets in the area that specialize in awesome salads. They are too expensive for me to buy very often - between $6 and $9 a pound! They are SO good, though.

I make some really good pasta salads.

*scoots closer to Nookie*

kim (weltek) said...

I love the Whole Foods deli. Lots of variety, but yeah, way expensive.

Know what I like? Lettuce salads with noodles involved. *hands nookie my potato salad*

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

Kim? what kind of noodles with your lettuc salad? Like egg noodles? Elbow macaroni?

kim (weltek) said...

Either orzo or any other small noodle (those nuggets or small penne) for a nice summertime potluck salad or I like asian salads with a cold, spiced noodle mix on top (so angel hair, those funky ramanish ones, soba noodles, etc.)

kim (weltek) said...

*brings a big salad to Swami* Get well soon!!!!!

mtw said...

*smooch*

Bravie said...

I just wanted to let you know that Kim is growing a mustache. That is all. Just being helpful and keeping peeps up on the latest happenings in our blog world. Carry on.

Anonymous said...

*snort* at Bravie.

I brought you some cupcakes. I hope you are doing well.

lights said...

How's the patient? Hope everything went well for you!

I've been thinking of you!

Puffy said...

*hits Swami on the knee* Hey, girl! How you doin'?

kim (weltek) said...

Heeeeey!!!!!!! *whacks bravie*

Bravie said...

Are you better yet? Are you bionic? I bet you are the star of the new bionic Woman tv series, aren't you?

Jen said...

Hope you're doing well, Swami!

Coco said...

Swami!

I like couscous in my lettuce salad- I discovered this when I mixed some leftover tabouleh with my regular green salad. It adds a heft which is satisfying, but it isn't oily.