Saturday, July 14, 2007

Somebody Shoot Me.

I just bought an Australian Tree Fern. What the heck was I thinking!?! I PROMISED myself I would buy no more huge houseplants this year because my house is at huge-houseplant capacity. I even planted my banana tree in the ground so I could not bring it back inside this fall. (Large banana trees are not meant to grow inside Minnesotan houses.)

Then I bought a tree fern which will grow into a small (and beautiful!) tree.

I will so regret this in the fall when I bring in my summering houseplants. Somehow my poor living room will have to absorb an 8-9 ft ficus benjamin, 2 huge crotons, a ginormous Boston Fern (3 feet across and about 42 inches long) a major deiffenbachia, a yellow hibiscus bush, my strangely ever-blooming aspidistra and an assortment of smaller plants - including my African Violets. I fear it will be too much.

One time when we had some people over this winter a guy with a comb-over wound up sitting under the banana tree. One of the leaves kept messing up his comb-over and the guy would look up into my banana tree with such an irritated, put-upon expression. Really, what kind of idiot fills their living room with trees?

4 comments:

Aislinn Sirk said...

The type of person who needs a larger house.

momma said...

*snort* at the banana tree messing with the guy's combover.

I am in need of more houseplants, but I'm afraid that the cat will eat them. She already tries to eat the small ficus. And that other yellow flowering thing. And the English Ivy. So I don't buy any.

Puffy said...

Lady Bird, is that you?

Bravie said...

LOL at the comb-over man. *snort*