Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I Almost Took Out a Tourist Today

My town, a lovely little turn-of-the-century river town, is a pleasant drive away from the nearby cities of Saint Minnepaulis. So all summer long we get tourist day trippers looking for sun, fun, antiques and a nice meal. They are mostly nice folks who enjoy the comparatively 'genteel' experience of small town life.

My town also has several pedestrian crosswalks painted in the middle of three long blocks in the heart of downtown so people can easly cross the street when something catches their eye. Fine. Local drivers (the majority of drivers) always stop. The city people think this is such a charming & lovely thing. I think some people cross all the time just for empowering thrill of stopping traffic on Main Street. Who cares? Anyone driving down Main Street in the middle of the day has some time to spare almost by definition. Besides, it's State law to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.

Where it all goes to pieces is when some foolish people decide that they can also stop traffic at intersection which are controlled by traffic lights. Not a good idea! So every once in a while, as you drive through a lighted intersection some complete idiot on the curb will give you a vague smile and step right in front of your moving car! I mean - right in front! What the heck are they thinking!?!

A woman in pink shorts stopped my car with a screetch in just that way this morning. Then after I graciously slam on my brakes to avoid killing her and getting blood & brains all over my car - then she has the nerve to give me the finger! And when I look at her she waves it all around self-righteously. Several drivers on both roads of the intersection honk at her but she walks across anyway because - by damn - she is in a crosswalk!

Hopefully she will find a clue to buy somewhere in town.

3 comments:

~Nutz said...

You should've run her over. *rolls eyes*

Bravie said...

I would have run her over right after she gave me the finger. *grin*

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should start carrying 5 lb. cans of coffee in your car for these very situations.