Oh my freaking gawd - I am loving this show! It is on BBC America around 2 in the afternoon here.
It's a British show, of course, and stars two stereotypically perfect giddy biddies. They go into people's houses, inspect their terrible messes, and then help them clean up - but it's hilarious!
The first woman, named Kim I believe, is the Queen of Clean. She is a hugely tall ice-blond with huge bosoms. She inevitably enters the selected hovel wearing high, high satin heels and pearls with her blond hair pulled tight into an elaborate, control-freak chignon. When she cleans she wears playtex-type gloves with rhinestones and feathers and stuff at the cuff.
The other woman is named Aggie or something. She is the Dirt Detective. So she takes swabs and sends them off to the lab to see what nasties they can grow in culture from her samples. Usually she finds massive infestations of fun & infectious agents like E. coli, salmonella, candida, mildew, molds and botulism. Cockroaches cavort and flies fly all about as she takes her samples.
Technically, this is a reality show - right?
So these two middle-aged women march into a house and 'ooo' and 'ahhh' over the greasy sinks, grimey toilets and piles of unlaundered clothing. They smell things, roll their eyes and make faces while a very droll male Brit supplies an occasional narrative. They scoop up grease with their bare fingers (ick). They smell toilets. They pick up odd, disgusting things found growing in corners. It is freakin' hilarious!
In one ep Biddy #1 flips up a toilet seat and says "Oh! Look at this! Disgusting!"
Biddy #2 says "What is that stuff under the seat? It looks like crystal!"
Biddy #1: "It's dried urine, is what it is. So much that it's gone to crystals!" Then she scrapes at it with her long red fingernail!!! No gloves! I almost lost my lunch! What the hell was she thinking?!?
Eventually, they put on white work clothes (or bio-hazard suits if needed) and get to cleaning - usually with a bunch of anonymous helpers. And they do have some good cleaning tips on a regular basis. But the main reason to watch the show is to experience a voyeuristic smorgasborg of filth and people who are such idiots they are willing to show their filthy hovels on TV.
It's freakin' hilarious I tell you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
I don't get BBC, but a similar show is on here, called "Clean Sweep." I haven't seen it in a long time. It's g-ross!
Puffy, How Clean Is Your House is waaaay more nitty gritty than Clean Sweep. I thought Clean Sweep was kind of boring & straight forward the few times I watched it. How Clean is all kinky and peculiar - and much more fun!
Oh wow. I'm going to have to look for this one. Is it on over the weekends?
I'm not sure, Momma. When I find a show like that, which amuses me, I usually just set my DISH to 'record all episodes' and assign it a low priority so it doesn't bump anything I really want to record. Then I watch an ep or two whenever I have time. I don't mind deleting duplicate episodes because that is way quicker than searching for ones I haven't seen. My DVR can store 102 hrs or something amazing like that - so space is not my problem.
They wouldn't have much fun in my house. Michelle runs a tight ship.
I watched part of an episode this weekend! I was too grossed out to watch the whole thing. *shudder* Eventhe sheer amount of clutter just freaks me out. You know, when people can't even walk into a room.
And momma, it was on a lot this weekend. I watched it after Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. Good stuff I tell ya.
I watched the one with the father and daughter. Both were too stubborn to clean. OMH, the place was so gross I wanted to puke. How the heck can peeps live like that? And, those ladies touching the dirt without gloves ... *SHUDDER*
I don't think I could watch that show on a regular basis. I never thought people could live in filth like that. *SHUDDER*
So many of the people whose houses they clean up are pretty much hopeless cases. When they make their return "surprise" visit 2 to 4 weeks later you can tell that they have returned to their old ways instantly.
The exceptions I've seen have both been people who crashed during a major life depression and just couldn't get out of the slovenly loop. For those two households (one a single guy and one a woman with 3 children) the4 cleaning was life-changing and life-affirming. You can tell their lives have changed.
The other success I saw was a mixed bag. A young adult (maybe 20?) lived with her young daughter in her parents' garbage house. The cleaning was a revelation to her! When the How Clean people returned a month later the house was going downhill fast but there was an invisible line at the bedroom this young woman shared with her daughter. Her room was spotless! And she looked so much happier.
Post a Comment