
I am busy moving furniture, and supervising Tom and the kids as they move furniture up and down from the basement.
We accidently invited 10 people to a sit down dinner on Tuesday, so we need to seat 12. My dining room table, which seats 12 very nicely got moved to the basement a few years ago when we converted our dining room into a hugely needed home business office.
That table is too long for the kitchen & who wants to eat in the kitchen anyways. Plus I like to spread out when I cook and not stay all contained. In the family room there is not enought room to open it out unless we take just about everything else out. Such a pain! Mom's table is HUGE!
So we have been auditioning table & furniture placements all afternoon.(Don't laugh - I have 6 kitchen or dining tables of various sizes in my basement. They have all auditioned.) Looks like we can eat in the family room using two other smaller tables places together just so and still not feel like we are pretend sardines, or have to take the rest of the furniture out of the room. Downside? We will be eating in a room that containes a 37" TV. Upside? If the party gets boring I can always put on Dancing With The Stars!

16 comments:
What do you want to bet that someone ASKS you to put on Dancing With the Stars? I have a spare dining table and chairs that I've been trying to sell. I've received absolutely no offers and no phone calls about it. I had 27 people over a couple of weeks ago. Six ate at the spare table that I put in the living room. Twelve ate in my dining room. Six ate at my kitchen table. It was buffet so I think some people sat down when others got up.
How much for your table, Puffy? And can you deliver by noon on Tuesday?
Because there is a guest of honor, visiting from Russia, we all need to be at one table and there is no way in hell that we are going to disconnect all the electronics in our home office so that the big table can fit back. Plus we would have to move out 2 L-shaped desks and a small (42" round) conference table.
We can't go buffet style because the menu includes steak which is a pain to try and cut on your lap.
I like to have large gatherings in the summer months because the porch, deck and yard combination can easily handle a big, casual crowd.
LOL. One year Michelle and I hosted Thanksgiving at our house. Her parents, my parents, my brother, her two brothers, her sister and her sisters two kids. That was the last time at our house. Just not enough room. We had an array of different tables and chairs in the living room. and we then realized that we didn't have one matching wine glass.
Now Thanksgiving goes back and forth between her parent's house and my parent's house. This year? my parent's house. and now add three spouses and two more children.
You accidentally invited them? LOL. You need to explain!
That's funny...who has that many tables?
*pats movers on the back* I think you owe Tom ifyouknowwhatImean.
Have a fun dinner party!
MM, he meant to invite 4 people, then it was 6, then he threw in his boss's family and also his work wife & her kid.
Oh yeah. Wine glasses. I believe I am down to nine matching regular duty wine glasses. I will have to break out the depression glassware too. Crap. At least the kid doesn't drink.
Right now? I am orange oiling the chosen tables. Butcher will have the steaks cut and baker will have the Boston Cream Cake ready by noon. Until then, I clean.
Swami, you need the table by noon on Tuesday? *giggle* I'm reading this at 12:03 PST on Tuesday. I'm 3 minutes late.
I don't even have 1 dining room table! No room in my apartment. I eat sitting on my couch, using the coffee table. Heh.
I hope it all goes well!
Well? How's dinner going? You're checking your blog between courses, right?
We host a sit down Christmas dinner for our group of friends every year. We usually have about 10 people. I have a huge table that belonged to my Grandma when I was a kid. We had a lot of great memories at that table and it's cool that I get to make more with my friends.
Thankfully, we have a large open area in our rec room for the table. It's the spot Dave's been saving for the pool table I won't buy him. *grin*
At our old house, we used to host Thanksgiving. We had an eat-in kitchen, but we had 12 people in it all hovered around our kitchen table. PITA! The only good thing was that we could put the food on the counter and the kitchen and just have someone reach back and forth. We just had to make sure we took the rolls out of the oven before sitting down.
Now we have MIL's dining room table and an actual dining room, but we don't that many people anymore.
Every guest except the kid arrived with 2 bottles of wine, except the kid and the guy who brought six packs of some kind of local dark beer. Do you have any idea how long it takes to drink that much wine? *slaps forehead* *remembers to whom she is speaking* Of course you do!
Anyway, party was major fun. Dinner turned out great & the steaks were perfection. Family room worked very well as dinner venue.
When you try to translate Buttery Nipple into Russian it is, evidently, incredibly inappropriate & giggleworthy. Female half of guests of honor had a lovely 20 minute gigglefit, could barely breathe.
My only regret is that I had but one Bailey's since I was too full of wine to drink more.
Dishwasher is one it's 3rd run this a.m. One more to go, plus wash the napkins.
Ack! I never commented on your picture post! You look adorable, Swami! I love the second picture the most, I think. Too cute! Thanks for sharing them.
I like having a huge kitchen and eating in it.
*pouts* I wish I were there to help you drink that wine. {/whine} :D
Tables tend to multiply, don't they?
Sorry I missed the party. It sounds like it was a blast.
*walks in with plate & glass*
What? No leftovers?
Post a Comment