Thursday, October 05, 2006

Cottage Cheese

No, I'm not trying to steal Weltek's thinder. I'm talking about ceilings here. Cottage cheese ceilings, which my house is full of. On TV home improvement shows they just scrape them off whenever they can. And those shows where you get your house ready to sell? All the realtors go in and gag whenever they see one! So I want mine out.

I have fantasies about men with little stilts scraping off my cottage cheese. And yes, lol, it's almost as good as sex.

Do you have cottage cheese seilings?
Have you ever scraped one off?
What color are your ceilings?
Tell me about your ceiling. I am fascinated by ceilings these days.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

We don't have cottage cheese ceilings, but we have textured ceilings throughout the whole damn house. Every. Fricking. Room. The are just swirls though. Apparently they are harder to paint. Who knew?

The people before us had issues and really messed up the one in the living room by getting the wall paint on the ceiling and then trying to fix it themselves. It somewhat bothers me but only when I think about it.

Schnookie said...

Cottage cheese ceilings? Are those like popcorn ceilings?

We have stippled ceilings only because smooth ceilings would have cost a lot more.

I don't mind them. I'd prefer smooth but not enough to change them.

When DH finished the basement, he put a popcorn ceiling in one of the rooms. He was experimenting. He did a good job.

kim (weltek) said...

LOL! You had me worried.

I have orange peel finish. Someone from the east coast asked what our midwest obsession with textured walls & ceilings was. I think it's a practicality thing mostly. Textured walls show less bumps and marks and are WAAAY easier to hide areas of repair. Our orange peel is a little thick for my liking, but not horrid.

Good luck if you ever scrape them. It looks like a daunting duty.

Schnookie said...

LOL. Who came up with these names?

Cottage Cheese
Popcorn
Orange Peel

They must have been hungry at the time.

Schnookie said...

And, my ceilings are all white.

kim (weltek) said...

I think we should invent a poutine style.

Swami said...

Thing is, some of mine need to be painted or something - they look nasty. If I have them resprayed, that would be just as big a mess as having them scraped, right?

I have only painted a ceiling once. It was not fun.

I don't know about the poutine ceiling thing. My kitchen has ketchup ceiling which is not at all charming.

Schnookie said...

LOL at the poutine ceiling. Boy, what texture that would give it LOL.

I've painted ceilings before and I agree, it's not fun at all.

Can't you use a roller to paint the cottage cheese?

Breezy said...

Beware Swami! Depending on the type and age of your cottage cheese ceilings... painting them will make them fall. Oh yes it will, you'll have cottage cheese chunks on the floor all over. *shudder* It wasn't pretty.

Swami said...

We used a 4 inch roller and put sealcoat stuff over the worse ketchup stains. The ketchup powered through the sealcoat.

(My son with autism flips ketchup at the ceiling. I have no idea why; I guess he just likes the look.)

Bravie said...

We did until we flooded the ceilings in the living room. Unfortunately they were asbestos (most popcorn ceilings are if they have been there since the 70's) and so we had to seal off the house and pay extra for toxic waste and whatnot. A pain in the ass. But I love our ceilings so much more now that the popcorn ceiling is gone.

Jen said...

My apartment has textured ceilings. I don't like them. I don't understand what the purpose is.

Oh, and they're all white. Like all of my walls except one, which I sponge painted.

I really hope I can move to a place next year that I can actually decorate!

Zombs said...

Mirrors. You can't go wrong with mirrors.

Swami said...

Mirrors? Well sure, in the bedroom. And the kitchen. And the office... sheesh I'm going to be very busy, aren't I?

You've been talking to my DH, haven't you? *shocked that Zombie goes to such out-there websites*