Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I Am Not Coco

You know how sometimes Coco posts about what she cooks, like "I didn't have anything in the house but half a sausage, some dried beans and an old hard cheese." Then she throws it all together with a few things she had laying around the kitchen, like foie gras and black truffles, and comes up with something all Frenchie fabulous?


Yeah, well, I can't do that. <--- Witness.

See I had a bit of nice Napa cabbage, one carrot, a few bean sprouts, cilantro and some spring roll leaves. So I decided to make Vietnamese fresh spring rolls! Why not? I found some green onions, I always have fresh garlic and ginger, so I soaked the spring rolls leaves and "created". Since this was going to be the main dish I wanted to add some seafood or meat to them. Limited pickings here. I nixed canned tuna because it didn't seem right. Chicken sounded good but the only chicken I had laying around was a few frozen, breaded nuggets of some kind from a bag my DD had used most of. I figured I could bake the nuggets, slice them thinly and it would all be good.

Not.

The "chicken" nuggets were some kind of weird chicken-loaf thing. The breading was strangely textured. And? They were not delicious. But I was already committed so I persevered. The result was NOT Frenchie fabulous. Edible, but not very yummy.

20 comments:

Zombs said...

Is that Tom in the background?

Zombs said...

Or is it one of your sex toys?

momma said...

The hobo statue does not look pleased by the dinner. *snort*

Seriously, I'd have probably given up the creativity thing and ordered a pizza.

Swami said...

The old potato farmer is my kitchen fairy. He lives on the counter and watches over me. I like him - salt of the earth and all that.

Aislinn Sirk said...

I'm still laughing at yours and Tom's bed.

kim (weltek) said...

Oooh, I have a spring roll question. Last time I made homemade spring rolls, the sheets fell apart when I took them out of the water. I soaked them for a long time (while I was chopping and seasoning everything & making sauce)...could I have soaked them too long?

Swami said...

I soak them in very hot water, one at a time, for about 30 seconds, which is about how much time it takes to assemble and roll one up. So it's an efficient assembly line. As soon as they are soft, with no crunchy spots, they are ready.

Zombs said...

If you were Coco there would be a tentacle reference somewhere here.

Swami said...

Also? It just started snowing. Kitten came to the window in a panic. The sky is falling!!!! The sky is falling!!!!! lol. I let her in through the window - poor traumatized little feline.

Bravie said...

My cooking experiments are referred to as "sausage surprise".
I had one little mis-hap with a stuffed sausage experiment and now it has become the joke of the house.

Swami said...

I would not have guessed that lesbians liked 'sausage surprise'.

Bravie said...

I didn't say that it was a pleasant experience. *snort*

mm said...

Yay! Do we get to see some snow pics, too?

You get lotsa points for perservering, and making something that *looks* delicious, whether it was or not.

Seana said...

I will give you 4 points for plating. Attractive, but perhaps some garnish would have added to the overall impression.

Seana <--watches too much Iron Chef.

mm said...

Hey! When did you change the name of the blog??

lights said...

*giggles* You have snow before me!

Swami said...

MM, I changed the name of couple of months ago. I'm stealthy like that.

It was supposed to have a cilantro garnish, but that seemed like a waste of garnish. Plus, this is a posed photo, just for you.

I did take a snow-on-geraniums photo. I will post it tomorow just for you, Lights.

kim (weltek) said...

I just came to visit the potato farmer.

~Nutz said...

I am so totally not like that either. *sigh*

I wish I were more creative with cokking stuff, but I'm a simpleton. ;-)

Schnookie said...

I like the spud guy.

Nice effort Swami. Chicken nuggets though? *giggle*

I'm definitely not creative when it comes to cooking. I'm a simpleton like Nutzy LOL.