
In fourteen hundred and ninety-two
Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
He 'found' a place that wasn't lost
And planted his flag at a terrible cost.
I am not a big fan of Columbus. Yeah, he was a brave and bold explorer I guess. Most educated people at that time knew the earth was round, so he wasn't afraid of sailing off the edge (though some of his sailors probably were.)
What I regret is that when Columbus planted his flag Europe was still in a convert-them-to-Christianity-at-any-cost frame of mind that would make al Qaeda proud. Plus they brought so many virulent diseases to the New World. I don't think they took any epidemic diseases back, did they? I don't think so. Just the food staples of the modern world - potatoes, corn, and wheat (not barley or rye - the common Eurograins - but good old golden wheat.)
Ever notice that in South America, where many more people still identify with their "pre-Columbian" ancestors, Columbus Day is not a big deal? A guy I know from Ecuador, who identifies himself as 'of Inca descent' once explained it like this: "Us having a celebration for Christopher Columbus would be like Jews having a parade for Hermann Goering."

6 comments:
I kind of feel the same way, Swami. Kind of how I feel about my American patriotism in general. I love my country, even with all its faults, but I can't defend the history of our nation completely.
Here in NorCal, it is called Indigenous People's Day, not Columbus Day.
Carey, what does your calendar say?
I like the name Indigenous People's Day. Here, it's still Columbus Day
The calendar still says Columbus Day.
I believe it was the city of Berkeley (big surprise) that started referring to it as Indigenous People day and then the entire bay area sort of adopted that.
Christopher Columbus produced the Harry Potter movies. He also produced and directed the movie, "Rent,", among others.
What?
Silly Peeps.
It's thanksgiving!
*eats pumpkin pie*
Post a Comment