Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dogs & Cats

A passing neighbor just found a little Schnauzer dog running down our lane on his way to the Big State Highway Doggie Death Machine up the road a bit. So we called the number on his collar (no answer.) I found a leash and then the neighbor went door-to-door asking. Turns out, the dog lived not too far away and I even vaguely know the owners - but I have never seen them walk this dog. Turns out they have a housesitter staying there now. Who just "let the dog out for a bit." Sure.

In cat news Tippy Toes has suddenly developed a bare patch on his right side about 2" x 1 & 1/2". It doesn't look red or irritated or anything. Just smooth, hairless skin. So we have a vet appointment for tomorrow. Sometimes I hate the vet. It's like $50 just to walk in the door. Tippy is probably just fine but I need to be sure.

Why do cats get bald spots?

12 comments:

maroonclown said...

Some cats get bald spots from over licking.

Best to spend the 50.00 now rather than more later.

Poor kitty bitty.

Swami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Swami said...

$56 to walk in the door
$30 for rabies 3-year vaccine
$45 for antibiotic injection

Hopefully he won't lick the spot and it is not mites because then they would have to scrape the skin until it bleeds to remove all possible mites. That can't feel good for Tippy.

Oh yeah. He needs his teeth cleaned because of major tartar build-up, which I kind of knew was happening. Estimate? $300 - $350.

All that money and he is a peaceful, non-violent cat who does not hunt and will not pursue field mice when they try to come live in my basement every fall. He just watches them move in.

Puffy said...

I guess a mouse removal service might cost more.

Puffy said...

Oh, and the housesitter? Someone better tell the owners about this one! Grrrrr.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a lot for a teeth cleaning!

What exactly was the diagnosis?

Swami said...

The exact diagnosis was "I dunno" only delivered in a more wordy & profound way with an antibiotics injection thrown in because that's doing something! Right?

And yes - Tippy's teeth do need cleaning badly. I never looked deep into his mouth before. His back teeth are almost disappeared into tartar & his gums are inflamed. Because he is more than 10 years old they require him to have some blood work-up done before any proceedure that requires a general anesthesia. Which they have to do for his very crappy teeth.

Poor Tippy.

kim (weltek) said...

Ali had to have the major teeth cleaning last two years ago at about the same age, so I feel for ya.

yvonne said...

My Big Fat Harry has bald spots all down both sides of his body because he pulls his fur out. He starting doing this after I had to have Sam put down. He eased up a bit, then started again full force after Dad died last year.

The vet doesn't have an explanation for it. He thinks he started doing it for comfort, or because he had itchy skin. Now it's become a habit. Drives me nuts. There are tufts of fur everywhere. I know where Harry has spent his day because he leaves a trail of fur.

There's never been any bleeding or redness, so we figure he's not hurting himself so there's nothing to do. Did I mention it drives me nuts?

yvonne said...

And I agree with Puffy about the housesitter! Rat them out!

Puffy said...

I'm no vet but I have an explanation for Yvonne's Harry's fur pulling. He's a loving, emotional cat, with feelings and misses his buddies, human and feline.

Swami said...

Tippy is okay but he had to have 2 extractions - one upper left and one lower right, both way in the back. So my vet bill went up accordingly. Yikes! No new TV for me this year. *sob*

Now Tippy is deep into his "There's No Place Like Home" psychology. So I guess he forgives me for taking him in. Maybe he even thinks I rescued him from the evil dentist.

I don't think he will want to get into the cat carrier again any time soon.