Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Do Not Disturb (except for my bloggy friends) :-)

Today I am FINALLY! getting out my Christmas cards. Earler today I dug out my big Banker's Box of Christmas card stuff, wherein I save cards people sent me that I really liked, people's Christmas letters, envelope stick-ons, Xmasy newspaper clippings and the remainders of boxed cards I sent in the past but never used up.

At the very bottom of the box I found a complete box of addressed but never mailed Christmas cards! Lol - I had a year without Christmas and never even knew. From a careful examination of addresses and who my Evil Sister was married to at the time I have determined that the year I missed Christmas was 1999.

I have decided to blame Y2K hysteria. Remember Y2K? I was probably busy buying beans, toilet paper & batteries.

1999 was a great year. I was able to give all the pesky relatives I don't like rolls of toilet paper for a "gag" gift. That was so satisfying...

12 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

Ahh, Y2K. I remember it well.

I have vowed to get out my cards by Monday, Dec. 21st.

maroonclown said...

Be carefull the same thing doesn't happen in 2012, or would that be December 2011?

The end is nigh.

I've bought cards, they are sitting on the kitchen table. Funny how they just won't sign and address and stamp themselves.

Swami said...

Yikes! Two hours into the process and I'm barely half done.

I still haven't seen that movie, MC. I love End of the World movies! Maybe you could just take a photo of the pile of cards and just email it to people. I have 2 people who only send out ecards and I will strike them from my paper card list after this year. Generally, I don't even open ecards - especially if they want e to go to some linked site. Forget it.

Swami said...

Done!
*claps hands*
Only now there are little sparklies all over my computer desk. I hope that's not bad for the computer.

Swami said...

Plas, I can never remember what the postage rate to Canada is so I just stick on two stamps. You Canadians are so darn expensive!

Swami said...

'Plas' means 'plus'.

kim (weltek) said...

I do the same thing with Canadian postage...I never have any smaller stamps! The only exception is if I'm running short of regular stamps and will have to buy more, then I just go to the desk of the post office if the line is short and get exact postage.

I intended to write out cards last night, but my neck was sore. Instead, I sat on the couch watching "Escanaba in Da Moonlight" with Chris. What a stupid movie. I think it would've been better had they just stuck with telling a regular deer camp story. The parts that were funny were because it's only SLIGHTLY exaggerating deer camp in the U.P.

maroonclown said...

Um, I believe the postage rate for Canada is in the .56 range. US stamps are over a dollar, I think, but I just stick two Canadian stamps on the US ones.

I wonder if one of your US stamps would adequately cover Canadian postage?

Anonymous said...

I mailed mine out on Monday. As ready as I thought I was, I still had troubles:

1. Puffy's card is going to be boolated. I realized that I misspelled Hanukkah, so I had to fix it.

2. I accidentally addressed one blogger's envelope with her former married name and didn't actually realize it until after they were mailed.

3. I miscounted and was short a stamp, so I had to use two old stamps from last year.

4. MC's card cost me $2 at the UPS store. I wonder why.

5. Someone is getting a boolated Halloween card with a Christmas stamp.

Seana said...

Y2K! I'd nearly forgotten. I think I bought a big container of water the day before or something, just in case.

I don't know what stamps to the US cost. They don't have amounts on them anymore. Which is convenient because now even if the rates go up, I can still use the stamp.

maroonclown said...

Stamps to the US cost .96 Canadian.

2.00 for a card to Canada? Heaven's to Betsy!

Puffy said...

How funny...cards from 1999! Boo, Hanukah can be spelled lots of ways, such as Hanukah, Hanukkah, Hanuka, Chanuka, Chanukah, etc.