I thought I'd start the week with a list, so I counted my spices. Lol - it took waaaay too long. This list does not count commercial spice mixes like Montreal Steak Seasoning, Caribbean Jerk, various Seasoned Peppers & spice rubs, or oils like Peppermint & Almond, and most refrigerated, fresh or preserved spices (like whole ginger root, tumeric root, fresh basil leaf, etc.) It does count standard mixes like Curry Powder & Chinese Five. I confess - I have never used the Arrowroot powder. I bought it for a recipe I never made. But everything else? In use.
Edited to replace duplicate Anise Seed with Cream of Tartar. It's more a chemical than a spice to me, and screws up the alphabetization - but it keeps my count at 87!
1. Allspice, Ground
2. Allspice, Whole
3. Cream of Tartar
4. Arrowroot Powder
5. Asafoetida Powder
6. Anise Seed
7. Basil Leaf
8. Bay Leaves, Ground
9. Bay Leaves, Whole Turkish
10. Caraway Seed, Whole
11. Cardamom, Ground Decorticated
12. Cardamom, Whole
13. Cayenne Pepper, Hot
14. Celery Seed, Ground
15. Celery Seed, Whole
16. Chile Pepper, Ancho Ground
17. Chinese Five Spice
18. Chive, Chopped, Dried
19. Chile Pepper, Flakes, Crushed Red Pepper
20. Cilantro Leaf, Dry Flakes
21. Cilantro Leaf, Whole Frozen
22. Cinnamon, Ground
23. Cinnamon, Whole 4 inch
24. Cloves, Ground
25. Cloves, Whole
26. Coriander Seed, Ground
27. Coriander Seed, Whole
28. Cream of Tartar
29. Cumin Seed, Ground
30. Cumin Seed, Whole
31. Curry Powder, hot
32. Curry Powder, mild
33. Dill Seed
34. Dill Weed
35. Fennel Seed, Whole
36. Fenugrek,Whole Seed
37. Fleur de Sel Salt
38. Garlic, Granulated
39. Garlic, Minced
40. Garlic, Powdered
41. Ginger, fresh root
42. Ginger, Ground
43. Garam Masala Powder
44. Horseradish Powder
45. Jalapeno Pepper, Ground
46. Lemon Peel, Granulated
47. Lemon Grass, Dried
48. Marjoram
49. Mustard Seed, Ground Yellow
50. Mustard Seed, Whole Brown
51. Mustard Seed, Whole Yellow
52. MSG
53. Nutmeg, Ground
54. Nutmeg, Whole
55. Onion, Granulated
56. Onion, Powdered
57. Orange Peel, Granulated
58. Oregano, Ground
59. Paprika, Hot
60. Paprika, Sweet
61. Parsley Leaf
62. Pepper, Malabar Standard, Ground Coarse
63. Pepper, Malabar Standard, Ground Fine
64. Pepper, Malabar Standard, Whole Malabar
65. Pepper, Szechuan
66. Pepper, Tellicherry Peppercorns
67. Peppercorns, Rainbow Blend
68. Pepper, White, Ground Fine
69. Pine Nuts
70. Poppy Seed
71. Rosemary Leaf, Ground
72. Safflower
73. Saffron, Whole Threads
74. Sage Leaf, Rubbed
75. Savory Leaf, Rubbed
76. Sea Salt, Crystals
77. Sea Salt, Granulated
78. Seasoned Salt
79. Seasoned Pepper
80. Sesame Seed, Hulled (White)
81. Spike
82. Tamarind Paste
83. Tandoori
84. Tarragon Leaf
85. Thyme Leaf, Ground
86. Turmeric, Ground
87. Vanilla Bean, Whole.
Tell me if you have a spice that is NOT on my list and I will re-check to see if I have it and just missed counting it because of temporary insanity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Oops - I have Anise Seed twice. Make that 86 spices!
WTF is Asafoetida Powder? It's the one I'm clueless about on your list.
How about:
Paprika, smoked
Chipotle powder
Other than that, I think we might share the same spice cabinet. I own no arrowroot powder, Fenugrek or MSG, however.
I need some garam masala! I keep coming across recipes that calls for it that I want to try.
I thought I kept alot of spices but you have me beat by about 20!
Kim, asafoetida is a pretty pungent spice used in Indian cooking sometimes. I had a friend from Gujerat who introduced it to me. Non-Hindu that I am, I like a little in my dry beef curry. I think South Indians use it a lot in chutneys & sambals.
Think of it as fenugrek meets garlic.
I love fenugrek!
I think my mom used arrowroot to make meringue? That sounds familiar.
My Penzey's catalog recommends using arrowroot instead of cornstarch. Cornstarch is just fine with me, though, especially since they've finally started offering it in canisters instead of those messy boxes.
I have enjoyed fenugrek in food, but have never owned any. Most of the Indian style food I made relies on Garam Masala or another seasoning blend from Penzey's. They have tons of Indian inspired blends that are pretty good.
If I didn't already love you I'd totally stalk you and your spices.
I really thought I was the spice queen, but you do have me beat.
I, too, have fenugreek. I thought that might get you, but nope!
Like Kim, I have smoked paprika.
I have a small jar of Mexican dried chile piquins.
Candied ginger
Vietnamese Cassia cinnamon
I'll have to keep looking!
Fro - I don't like candied ginger and I don't make anything that uses it.
Wow I feel completely inadequate right about now. I know I don't have anywhere near 85. I might have 25.
Lawry's. You don't have Lawry's Seasoned Salt listed.
I also have Tastefully Simple's Onion Onion and Pampered Chef's Southwest Blend.
*sticks tongue out* I feel better now.
Post a Comment