What do I do with my wet suit? Do I have to wash it in the washing machine every time, or can I just hang it to dry? Will residual chlorine ruin the fabric if I don't wash it out?
I am ignorant of these fine points of pooling since I have done most of my swimming in lakes and rivers. I've been in the ocean in CA and HI too but salt water is creepy. I don't like swimming in salt water.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
When I was teaching water aerobics (and thus in the pool often), I'd rinse the suit thoroghly after being in the pool and just wash it every 2-3 times. It withstood the chlorine that way and the elasticity didn't break down so easily from too much washing.
Do you ever pee in it whilst in the pool? Just curious. I have no real advice because I am not really pool people.
While it is my opinion that many people do pee in the pool, and I once read that this is the first thing many competitive swimmers do the first time they enter a new pool (to "claim it" or something) - no, I do not pee in the pool. Just seems wrong to me. It also means, lol, that I rarely stay longer than about an hour and a quarter since by then I usually have to go.
Huh, these are all good questions! I have no idea though. I think I'll ditto kim since she sounded pretty smart about it. :)
Kim sounds smart, unless df shows up I'd go with that. :) I'm a lake and river person, though I don't have a problem with the ocean.
Kim is correct. You need to at least rinse it out.
When I swim, I immediately take a shower at the gym after. It rinses the chlorine out of my suit, my hair, and just off of me. Chlorine will dry my skin worse than any winter weather.
Sometimes I use a little of the gym soap. Sometimes I just rinse.
I do laundry once a week, and if I have a suit I've worn, I'll toss it in there with my cold stuff.
I do the same at the pool in the summer - althought I'm usually washing it at home in the sink.
And I would never pee in the pool. That is absolutely disgusting, and I try not to think about other people doing it.
I take comfort in knowing that my gym is very good about cleaning and adding chemicals.
Usually when I take off my suit in the pool shower I manage to drop it on the floor, so I will probably wind up washing it most times anyway because the shower floor is not a sanitary surface.
I love the little centrifuge thing that spins the water out of your suit! I forgot about that until I started going to a pool.
Oooh, my gym has a thing that spins the water out of the swimsuit, too. I always rinse my suits out with water after I wear them. I don't wash them in the washing machine very often.
I like the pool sign:
Please don't pee in our pool and we won't swim in your toilet.
Post a Comment