Saturday, February 28, 2009

Things That Have Fizzled Lately

Some people get to blog about high-minded accomplishments and important milestones reached and things like that. All I have this week is fizzles. Nothing big enough to deserve an OMG! or even a You Won't Believe What Happened! Just unremarkable, pedestrian fizzles.

I thought life might get exciting on Thursday when the actual Weather Station Mobile Broadcast Truck came to town, parked in a likely spot, set up their cameras, and then everyone got out of the truck and looked up. I guess they were hoping for The Great Thundersnow Storm Of The Century. It fizzled of course. We had maybe three or four anemic thunderclaps, barely visible lightning and only about 6 inches of snow to complicate rush hour. Fizzle. I bet they were hoping for a repeat of the Great Thundersnow Storm of 1976 (or 1977 - something like that) when we had Great & Uncountable Thunder Booms while the Sky Lit Up Like The Fourth of July, heavy wet snow fell in Record Speeds, and in the following cold snap (thundersnow in MN is always followed by below zero freezes) hundreds of cars were frozen to the city streets as the super-saturated snow turned into a city-wide hockey rink. I remember that storm well. People who were so unfortunate as to be parked in low spots couldn't use their cars for days. TV stations ran with advice on how to chip your car out of the thundersnow without damaging your tires. It was very entertaining.

Now for Friday's Fizzle. On Fridays, Mr Swami usually brings home some take-out for our supper. Usually he brings Chinese - which I just love. However, during our recent litle mini-vacation I took Mr Swami to lunch at Ruby Tuesday, which as you know has pretty good entrees and a decidedly lovely salad bar. They also have a take-out menu, which we took. So Friday Mr Swami decided to bring home Ruby Tuesday. I had a lot of hesitations in letting Mr Swami build me a salad. Really, a salad bar salad is such a personal thing - but I decided to see what would happen. I requested the Turkey Minis Combo, which includes the salad bar.

Fizzling disaster. First off - Mr Swami didn't get home until after 7 pm - so I was starving. In my unseemly haste to warm up my minis I tried to scoot the box into the microwave while Mr Swami was standing kind of in front of it. (This is Mr Swami's favorite place to stand in the kitchen - blocking the microwave, the door and the cutlery drawers all in one fell swoop.) Mr Swami unexpectedly backed up while I was doing my tricky reach-around move. The take-out carton was bumped and totally collapsed (cheap POS!) causing my food to all fall. My two mini burgers fell into the cat's water dish. Splash! My french fries were scattered across the cat food dish, the cat water dish and the floor. Crapiola! All I had to eat for the hot portion of my meal were those french fries we could scoop up in ten seconds from the just-washed kitchen floor. My Fizzle Fries. And they weren't even hot by the time all the excitement died down. As for the salad? Never let Mr Swami build you a salad, that's all I have to say on that! He picks only the weird stuff and jumbles everything together in a very unnatural & messy way. I ate less than half of it. Everything looked creepy.

So guess what I'm supposed to eat today for my lunch? Hah! A PB & J sandwich never looked so good to me before.

Stupid fizzles.

5 comments:

Tummy said...

*hugs Swami!

Here's hoping for sizzles instead of fizzles next week!

kim (weltek) said...

BooooHisss! I could feel your pain about your dinner. Being ravenously hungry, then having the meal go to shit sucks.

I agree-a salad bar is personal. I generally willl only consider takeout in the form of pizza, chinese, or maybe pasta. Even subs are questionable on their take-home shelf life, IMHO.

Swami said...

I cheated. If you are supposed to make lemonade when life hands you lemons, then...

I picked the romaine leaves out of the salad and turned it into a hot dish, lol. Since Mr Swami had loaded down my salad with chopped ham, I just steamed the green beans, carrots, broccoli & other veggies until they were almost done, then added eveything but the romaine and heated. It made quite a good hot dish. Very melted cheesey. Then I dumped the slightly old looking romaine into Mr Swami's salad leftover container. :)

The next morning, Mr Swami followed my lead - only he picked out his various lettuce leaves, sauteed the vegetables, then added a couple of eggs and had a vegetable omelet.

Next time - we're back to Mongolian for sure!

Puffy said...

You sure did make lemonade out of lemons! I hope your cat enjoyed it's meal.

Silvergirl said...

Man, I love me some Chinese food. It's sooo good.

Sorry your dinner fizzled, Swami. I don't really understand the appeal of Ruby Tuesdays, but that's just me. I guess it might have something to do with a couple of bad experiences there in Owings Mills, where I used to live.

One our first official date back in 1989, Ruby Tuesdays served DH a old tired dried out piece of quiche. It was the kind of food that should have been thrown out, not served.

A year before that incident, some of us from the office went there for lunch. It got chaotic during that lunch hour, and they forgot to put our orders into the kitchen. After waiting a very long time, they came and told us they still did not have our food ready. I think most of us had to leave, because we were on our lunch hour.

I hope next Friday's takeout is better.