Friday, May 16, 2008

Free At Last!!!

Today we are having short-sleeve weather! So exciting!!! All across town, pasty white bodies will venture into the sunlight blinking in confusion. Some will tan. Some will burn. Some will slather on sunscreen and feel invinsible.

Yeah, I know, most of you have worn short sleeves on & off for months. For all I know you are already harvesting tomatoes. But here in NorthCentral we are having our first short-sleeve day of the season. Be happy for us!


Also today I am buying more Hummingbird Happy annuals: salvia coccinea "Lady in Red", salvia guaranitica "Black & Blue", cuphea x purpurea "Verity", agastache, asclepias curassavica "Mexican Milkweed" (good for Monarch butterflies too!) and nicotiana mutabilis "Flowering Tobacco". And more of the ever-popular impatiens wallerana. Aren't I nice to my birdies?

6 comments:

momma said...

You are such a good hummingbird host.

I have no flowers to speak of at the moment. At least, nothing worth speaking of. I need to fix that problem this weekend.

Swami said...

Aren't you in freaking Texas, where it is already half-past spring?

MM said...

I love that you are so nice to your birds. I really love watching hummingbirds. I never see them around here, though. Are they not city dwellers?

Swami said...

You won't see them in the deep city (maybe in big parks) but any suburb should have what they need somewhere.

They like flowers that are pink and red, with long, more trumpet shaped blooms. They are very territorial and often nest year after year within a hundred yards of where they nested before. They also seem to remember where the good feeding spots were - hence the hummingbirds buzzing my deck regularly until I put out, lol.

~Nutz said...

It's actually been kind of chilly here. We did have a few days of non-sweater/jacket weather, but then... *poof* it was gone.

I fully expect a summer slam within a week or two.

Puffy said...

Roses are blooming. Geraniums are blooming, too. *rubs aloe on Swami's sunburn*