Monday, June 04, 2007

40 Cloves and a Bird

This is the name of the dish my DD prepared for supper last night. She is learning to cook from the internet and TV shows and mostly experiments on her BF - but last night it was dinner for all.

The forty cloves in the title are 40 cloves of garlic. So a cut-up chicken tossed with 40 cloves of whole garlic, some fresh thyme, a little olive oil, salt & pepper - then slow roasted. It tasted pretty good. This was served with a BLT salad (which was delicious!), garlic-mashed, skin-on red potatoes, and a loaf of fresh garlic bread.

So today? I am feeling a bit garlicky. A lotta bit garlicky.

You know I am not usually a smoochy type of person. But today all that changes! Fresh garlic smooches for everyone!

*borrows Flip's roller skates*
*puckers up*
*races into blogland*

20 comments:

Bravie said...

One of my favorite restaurants in SF makes the 40 cloves chicken. It's called the Stinking Rose. Sooooo yummy.

Aislinn Sirk said...

I really hope no-one in blogland is a vampire.

Swami said...

Okay - that was fun! How long did it take me to smooch the people who's blogs I check out regularly? (Well, almost all of them. I got shy a couple of times.)

Swami said...

*checks timestamps*

Crickey! Twenty-one minutes just to pop in and out of a bunch of blogs! Without reading, just smooching. Wow.

Swami said...

No. Wait. That's wrong. 8:37 to 9:16 is 39 minutes. Is that right?

*waits for math whiz Kim to rule*

I spend that much time just speeding through blogland without stopping?

Schnookie said...

LOL. While I do love garlic, it doesn't like me so I have to be careful.

Garlicky smooches are ok though.

*smooches Swami back*

~Nutz said...

Phew! You have some garlicky breath there this morning!

*smooch* :D

Coco said...

You are a freak, you know that?

I mean that lovingly.

Breezy said...

Dang, that seems like a LOT of garlic.

Swami said...

For dessert we had a brownie/cake thing with mint AND chocolate frosting. That seemed to cut through the garlic pretty well.

So well in fact that I just had another piece for lunch. I'm thinking of it as a needed breath mint treatment. The chocolate is just an inert binder.

kim (weltek) said...

Flip's gonna be pissed you stole his skates.

frodis said...

I've had 40 cloves chicken. It's very good. I've never thought to try it myself but I may just add it to the "dinner system"

Bravie, I've been to the Stinking Rose. I agree - SO yummy. I even tried the garlic ice cream.

Asrai said...

I'm just here for the smoochies, darlin'!!

*puckers up*

However, now I'm starving for some chicken!! Yum!

arkie said...

No one could stand to be around me if I ate something with that much garlic. You could just call me Bravie, Jr.

Glowie said...

hooray for the Stinking Rose! I loved that place.

That chicken sounds wonderful. Good for her for experiementing.

Jen said...

I went through a major garlic-loving phase after Carey took us to the Stinking Rose. I wanted so badly to make the little roasted garlic appetizer thingy. I got a garlic cookbook and was all excited. I tried it once and it tasted like crap, so I gave up. LOL. But they had a recipe for the 40 cloves chicken and I always thought it sounded good.

*garlic smooch*

Bravie said...

Looky at all of my Stinking Rose friends. *hops*

Seana said...

Swami funny.

The garlic mashed taters sound nummy, but I'm not a big garlic fan.

*smooches Swami while holding nose*

Coco said...

Hm..I have two chickens in the fridge; maybe a garlicky roast chicken is in order. Thanks, Swami!

And please, take Flip's skates. The little monster screams to put them on whenever he sees them, and I just know that he's going to break something someday. I mean, he's seventeen months, fercryinoutloud; what does he want with roller skates?

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

My DH would love the 40 cloves of garlic - he loves to roast them and put them in all sorts of stuff! When I made pot roast in the crockpot on Sunday, I used a plastic baggie to squeeze out the garlic - I didn't want to go to church with garlicky smelling hands! (blech!)