No smart ass post today. This is about my real life.
Today is Intake Day for my DS with autism. He will start his Adult Day Program after the 4th of July, in a place just south of Minneapolis.
This is a place where the hard cases go - young adults who are just too much to handle for a typical structured workshop. While he is quite rational in an autismy kind of way, the DS is very opinionated and capable of sudden, random violence. On a fairly regular basis he will hit, pinch, kick, spit upon and knock down people. This makes him (and rightly so) a "hard case." (DS is 21 years old, 6'2", and has all his dad's champion athlete quickness and reflexes. He can be scary.)
This is the one place in the Twin cities that specializes in hard cases and openings are hard to get and on an as-needed-most basis. When we enquired about placing DS there for a day program they talked to his HS teachers (he graduated this month) and said 'yes' at once, lol. No hesitation.
I toured the facility in early April. Physically it is quite adequate. The staff is wonderful! And fearless, lol. For a kid like my DS the capabilities of the staff are everything. I think he will do well here.
So DS will spend his days (5 - 6 hours per day) putting together packets of flyers for a small community newspaper and working on basic job and social skills. And having lunch which is always his favorite part of the day. They will also have weekly outings just for a treat. Their goal is that one day he can move on to a sheltered workshop.
I'm not complaining here. I am glad this facility is available and they will accept DS into their program. It is very hard to find a good adult day program for a 6'2" 'hard case' who needs 24/7 supervision.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Fantastic you've found this program for him, Swami. I seriously admire the great care you give your son and that you still have a wonderful spirit and sense of humor when the day is done. I love me some Swami. *smooch*
I think this will be wonderful for him! I agree with Kim. I love me some Swami!
I'm so glad you found a program for him! *hug*
Hooray! I hope DS does very well. Is he excited about it? Or is change a hard thing for him to adjust to? And how will you adjust? Do you drive him to and from each day?
*hugs*
*hug* I'm glad that you were able to get him into this program. I know how difficult it can be. Although my niece is only 11 and not 6ft tall, she has some of the same tendencies. *hug*
You're lucky to have found this place that is not too far away. I hope he will adjust to his new environment and flourish.
I have not been reading along as regularly as I would like lately so if you already mentioned that DS graduated this month then I missed it. Regardless, big congrats to DS (and his parents) for that accomplishment.
He reminds me a lot of my cousin, who is three years younger than I am. My aunt and uncle (as well as the rest of the family) were very happy when cousin got into a program where he enjoys the work and the people. I hope that this works out for DS just as well.
*hugs* and Congrats!
I did not see this yesterday.
I admire you, and like Kim said, you do have a wonderful sense of humor and just a wonder aire about you.
My nephew (not blood related, but I love him just the same) was diagnosed with Asbergers last year. He just finished a year in a pre-K program and will have a summer session that begins next week. He will start Kindergarten this fall.
I have seen so much progress with him in just the last year. It is so amazing.
I hope that he will enjoy this program - especially lunch!!
Post a Comment