Friday, June 02, 2006

Lookie Nookie



The family manse. Does it look familiar? The stone wall went up in the early 60s (I think.) And yes, I was standing in the middle of Hwy 8 when I took this picture.

All the farmland surrounding the house has been sold for subdivisions, Seana. Our area was one of the last holdouts. They started building houses to the left of my house in 02 or 03, and houses to the right are just going up now. They are building some pretty high end homes there, but with teeny tiny little yards. So far as I know *my* house will go untouched.

19 comments:

Schnookie said...

I've never been to Grimsby, I'm sad to say.

Wow Swami, you lived in a beautiful house. It looks like a southern manor. It's gorgeous. I highly doubt my parents lived in anything nice. It was a farm. I'll definitely have to ask my mom if she has any pictures of her place. I don't recall seeing any.

Damn subdivisions!

Swami said...

I would love to see a picture of your old house! I used to get around a lot (on my bike) so I might recognize it. If you send me the old address that might help too.

You weren't born yet when I was biking around Grimsby? *slinks off to suck her Geritol*

Zombs said...

Pretty house Swami! This is where you grew up?

~Nutz said...

That is such a lovely property! Too bad all that open space is now being developed. I hate that.

Bravie said...

I can't see a picture. *pout*

Puffy said...

That property would be worth a few million in Southern California. It's beautiful. Too bad it's full of ticky tacky homes on teeny tiny lots now. I know the feeling. You used to "get around a lot?" On your BIKE?

Schnookie said...

I sent you an email Swami.

Our parents lived on the same street!!!!!

Of course, there must have been some train tracks cause I'm pretty sure we lived on the other side LOL.

I was born in '62.

Swami said...

Yes, Zombs, that's where I grew up.

Nookie, the train tracks run parallel to Hwy 8, about half way between my house and the lake. *whack* Your email hasn't come yet, but then I've heard your emails may take a while.

Puffy, they're building pretty nice big houses on teeny tiny lots.

Swami said...

Oh. You can't see it in the picture - Lake Ontario is behind my house, about 1/2 mile away.

Schnookie said...

I sent you an email through my work email so there shouldn't be any delay. I'm going to double check that I sent it to the right addy.

Schnookie said...

DUH! I misspelled part of your email addy. Resent it!

Swami said...

Got it!

You lived just East of town, my house was just West of town - so we weren't close neighbours. However, my sister owned a house just about a 1/2 mile from yours for a few years!

Next time I go to Grimsby I will take a picture of your old house (assuming it is still there.)

Seana said...

How cool is that?

The house is lovely. The new houses they're building are awful: postage stamp backyards and no sense of individuality. I hate that they build them all as cheaply as they can (sharing walls, for example) and then still charge more than twice what my house is worth.

I grew up a 5-minute walk from "The Bay" part of Lake Ontario.

Bravie said...

Now I can see the purty picture. *grin*

Schnookie said...

What a small world. I'd love to see pics of my parent's house if it's still standing.

mm said...

I've been so busy I missed whatever this is about. Anyways, wanted to say hi, and bye, and see you when I get back!

*smooch*

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»