I grilled salmon this weekend, which reminded me of the wonderful grilled lake trout I can get at my favorite restaurant up north, the Lemon Wolf.
It's a storefront restaurant in a tiny resort town. The decor is rustic-bizarre, with chainsaw carved bears all over the place, even outside. If you have a window table, large carved bears with fake sunflowers in their open jaws will be looking in at you while you eat. The inside bears are looking at you too. The restaurant plays instrumental, elevator-music versions of old Roy Rogers songs - Yellow Rose of Texas, Heart of El Paso, stuff like that.
The chef himself is huge, 6' 4" burly guy with a thick black beard who wears plaid shirts, hiking boots and jeans. He looks like a guy who wins knife fights whenever he wants. And? He's one of those totally gifted chefs who can cook anything to perfection. His lake trout is perfect. Dishes with rice are perfect. Dishes with pasta are perfect. Desserts are perfect. Last time, Tom and I shared a slice of cheesecake that was at least 3" thick - and completely light and creamy from top to bottom crust. The lightly sauced raspberries and lingonberries on top tasted like they had been picked that morning. It was heaven on a seven inch plate!
And only a four hour drive away. Darn!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
You should go up there for dinner one weekend. It would be a lovely day trip.
Now I'm hungry.
I'm a little wary of chefs with big black beards. You never know when a hair might fall into the food.
I will tell my in-laws about this. They live in Spooner, WI & often spend time in Duluth...another hour away & they could try this place.
Speaking of Duluth. Have you eaten at Bellisios? YUM!!! Fabulous food, wine & atmosphere. Great service, too.
Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»
Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»
Post a Comment