Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Oh Crap-ito

It was nice to have Mr Swami home for a 4-day weekend.

It was nice of Mr Swami to cook us a huge skillet breakfast (making lunch quite unnecessary) for 3 of those 4 days.

But.

He used up waaaay too many potatoes! (Being a midwest country boy he likes potatoes for breakfast.) Now I have to go to the grocery store two.days.before.Thanksgiving because I don't have enough left to make mashed potatoes for everyone. *cries* I HATE the grocery store in the days before Thanksgiving! HATE IT!!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to go as well. And I have decided to go today instead of tomorrow, when it will be much worse.

I picked up a 3 lb. bag of red potatoes on Saturday for Thanksgiving until I remembered that someone else is bringing them, so you could have had mine.

I need:

Rolls. This is the main reason I go one or two days before - for fresh rolls.

Pecan or Chocolate Pie to counter SIL's Lemon Merangue. Not everyone likes hers.

Whipped Cream for said pie.

Bread for leftover turkey sandwiches.

Dinner for tonight and tomorrow. I had pork chops for one of these nights, but I left them in the bag by mistake overnight on Saturday. Oops.

kim (weltek) said...

See you there, I'm going tonight. Yucko.

I'm craving pie, no thanks to Boo up there.

Tummy said...

I went early, early this morning. Either peeps weren't up or they were getting ready for work. No lines! Heck, no people! It was great. Now if only I haven't forgotten anything.

Swami said...

Boo, I like russet potatoes for mash. I crossed rolls off my Thanksgiving list years ago. They are strictly table litter imo.

We are having meatballs & spinach with penne pasta tonight.

Oo - Kim is waiting for Super Crazy Busy Time while Tummy is one of those early birds.

I drove by my BIG store, aka CUB, and the parking lot was sheer total madness. So I drove to an excellent corner-type store about a mile further south where I got my taters & bread in peace & quiet and a nice young man even carried my bag out to the car. Which was parked right in front.

Anonymous said...

I left work at 4:59 and went to the store. I am fairly certain that one minute made a huge difference. There were rolls out the wahzoo. I got everything I needed. Then I got hom and found out there are three additional people coming who I hadn't planned for. Ack! My one nephew is bringing his new girlfriend. So I now have 10 adults.

I immediately freaked out and called BIL to make sure he had enough turkey. My logic is that you buy the biggest damn bird the store has - even if you only have two people. That gives you turkey, sandwiches and plenty of leftovers. He was on his way, so I told him to get more stuffing, which I figured later I didn't need.

Potatoes. I like Redskin (and not because of the Redskins). I make my mashed taters with the skin on, and then add: butter, a little milk or cream, salt, pepper, garlic salt and sour cream. I never measure anythng, so no two batches are ever the same.

BIL's girlfriend is bringing the potatoes this year, which I'm fine with. But apparently I just learned that she makes a set amount no matter what, and that's that. It is what it is. So there's a chance there might not be enough. WTF???? I got an email yesterday telling me that I might want to have some backup. Again, WTF?

I figured I have enough of everything else. If I go without, I go without.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I got a little long-winded there. I'm full of energy today.

Swami said...

I like the flavor of red potatoes better too, Boo, but in my hands they get a bit gluey when I try to make a big batch while the russet stay lighter.

Lol on a "set" amount of mashed potatoes! Does she peel 6 and then her strength runs out?

Sometimes when there's a borderline amount of turkey for all the people I have just tossed a couple of extra turkey thighs (or breasts) into the oven too. They can be cut up right in the kitchen while the big bird rests and then go onto a serving platter while everyone is ooh-ing & aah-ing and lovely whole bird gets carved at the table.

Everyone carves the bird at the table, right?

Swami said...

And I just put my pumpkin pies into the oven. I will play on the puter til my timer dings.

I always have to make an extra pie for Mr Swami because pumpkin is his favorite! He will walk in the door later today, say "I smell pie!" and immediately require a giant slice.

Anonymous said...

I try not to guess at what any of the SILs are thinking anymore.

BIL carves the turkey at home and then brings it to my house. I prefer not to have to deal with the carcas.

LOL at Mr. Swami for so many reasons. :)

Puffy said...

This is what Estee wrote on OT:
If you think Black Friday crushes are fun, try being in any given supermarket on I Forgot That One Ingredient Wednesday. People have killed each other over baking soda. Generic baking soda. And that's just in the scramble for parking spaces.

I made a carrot souffle and an apricot pie to bring to my cousin's house this afternoon.

Have you ever been to a Thanksgiving where you ran out of food?

kim (weltek) said...

Ooh, I like the idea of having the turkey carved at someone else's house!

Swami, I forgot that I always used to do a medium turkey (14 lbs-ish) and an extra breast. I should really do that again instead of buying the 20 lb turkey.

I am sold on my make-ahead mashed potatoes and putting them in the crockpot.

I made regular stuffing this year instead of my beer-bread one. Not as good this year. I also under-salted it by accident. Blah.