Do you have quirky ritualistic things you do? These are 2 of mine:
1. Eating a sandwich.
All bites must contain equal amounts of crust and non-crust areas. To accomplish this I
-cut the sandwich into 2 rectangles
-take one bite off each corner of a rectangle
-my third bite is a two-parter. First I bite off the little strip of crust remaining on one side followed immediately (without chewing!) by biting off half of the crustless stump left by my first two bites. Only when I have crust & non-crust in my mouth do I chew.
-I repeat the two-biter with the other side of the sandwich.
-then I turn the small remaining rectangle, which has no more side-crusts, to it's long side and finish it off in 4 - 6 bites, alternating sides and being careful to keep the edges even so the crust is perfectly proportioned for each bite.
(-repeat with other half of the sandwich)
If for some reason I can't eat a sandwich like this I am very upset. Like if some idiot has cut the thing into triangles (evil!) or the sandwich is unexpectedly round (twisted, evil sandwich!) Okay - now that I read it that sounds pretty bizarre, but mostly people never even notice that I am engaged in this important ritual.
2. Reading a Newspaper.
Like many people I immediately section sort the paper and get rid of sections I don't look at, like the classified & sports. It's reading the Comics that is ritualistic because I must read them in order and not even see the Wuzzle until I have finished the first 3 columns of comics (the Wuzzles are at the top of the 4th column.
This means that when I begin Page 2 of the comics (columns 3 & 4) I have to flip the paper over with my eyes averted and place my right thumb across the Wuzzle so I can't peek at it. If I accidently catch a peek my whole page 2 ritual is thrown off and I have to solve the Wuzzle immediately before I read column 3 of the comics - which is all fucked up because the Wuzzle is on top of column # 4 and 3 comes before 4!
Please top my quirks and make me feel more normal, lol.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
If I have a meal that includes french fries, I line up all of the fries so they're facing the same way before I eat any of them.
As soon as I sit down to eat, I rearrange the silverware. Even if it's just a little bit, placing them slightly wider apart or closer together, or just making sure they're all lined up straight. I didn't know I did this until someone pointed out that I ALWAYS do it.
Lining up fries seems very sensible to me. I probably do it when there are just a few left.
Rearranging silverware seems a bit over-the-top, however. Do you flip the knife over if people have it sharp side in instead of sharp side out, as nature intended?
*starting to feel better*
*giggles and points, uncontrollably*
*backs slowly out of the blog
Post a Comment